CBD Oil for Cats: Is it Safe to Give Your Pets?
By now, you may already have heard about cannabidiol oil, commonly referred to as CBD oil.
Because its legality is no longer in question across several states and nations, you can now focus on deciphering what benefits it can bring to your four-legged companions.
Yes, CBD oil is not only used for human beings. Today, those individuals that have become loyalists of CBD also consider giving it to their pets.
Despite its legality, however, you might still feel skeptical as to whether or not this is safe to give to your cats.
After all, it’s but natural that you wouldn’t want to give them anything that could harm them.
To ease that skepticism and put your mind at ease, read on to learn more about using full spectrum CBD oil for cats, its safety, benefits, and other important facts.
Is CBD Oil Safe for Cats?
Here is a fundamental question that needs to be addressed: “Is CBD oil safe for cats?”
Unfortunately, at present, the use of CBD oil for cats is still in its infancy.
By this, it means that there isn’t much information available yet concerning this topic.
However, those who have used CBD oil for cats swear by its satisfactory results. Just as CBD oil is safe for dogs, it’s also been found to be safe for cats.
However, this also comes with a caveat.
To ensure that CBD oil usage will never be harmful to your cats, do remember the following safety measures:
- Always use CBD oil under the supervision of your veterinarian.
- Keep the dose within the minimum, or at a level which your veterinarian deems to be safe.
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD oil comes from the cannabidiol component of cannabis, hemp, or marijuana plants. This is one of the hundreds of compounds that are found in these plants.
Unlike the plant itself, CBD oil doesn’t get you high. CBD oil, in the form available for purchase in dispensaries, is already processed to its highest level of purity to ensure that it’s not psychoactive.
Even more importantly, CBD oil doesn’t contain more than 0.3% of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, which is that compound of the marijuana plant that gives users a high feeling.
Why Is CBD Oil Being Used For Cats?
More and more people are looking for healthier and more natural ways to treat certain conditions that their cat may be going through.
When your pet has a medical condition, the common way to treat it is through the prescription of synthetic or chemical-laden medications.
Unfortunately, these are only as effective as their ability to function for the specific purpose that they’re made for.
Even more so, these also contain a lot of extra and harmful chemicals. In the long run, cats may develop dependency on these types of medications.
With CBD oil, on the other hand, the side effects range from minimal to none at all.
CBD oil has been proven to be effective for some medical conditions suffered by cats, such as the following:
- This is one of the diseases of cats that is frustrating to treat. CBD oil works successfully for pancreatitis, as it can help control the inflammation of the pancreas.
- For most cats, aggression is a temporary problem. Unfortunately, for other cats, this becomes a permanent issue that’s very difficult to solve. Like anxiety and depression, one of the most common ways to treat aggression is by taking temper-control pills. Cats can take these, too, but they can have adverse side effects in the long run.
A good way of controlling aggression in pets is to calm them down, and CBD oil can achieve this specific purpose.
Massaging CBD oil on your cat, for instance, tends to calm them down and allows them to relax a little bit more.
- Many cats suffer a great deal when they have anxiety because the pharmaceutical drugs that are prescribed for them don’t do much to help them. The most that your cat feels is the suffering due to side effects of its over-the-counter medication. As arthritis is also an inflammatory disease, CBD helps these cats to feel relief from the pain that they experience.
- Depression and anxiety. Yes, cats can get anxious and depressed, too. When they go through traumatic experiences, these may stay with them at quite a level of permanence. If you notice that your cat isn’t as playful or doesn’t eat well enough, these are telltale signs that your cat may be depressed. CBD oil can also be successful in helping curb the anxiety and depression of your cat.
- Inflammatory bowel diseases. This is one of the most common diseases that your cat can have. When treating inflammatory bowel diseases, using CBD alongside your vet-prescribed medication can help ease whatever discomfort it is that your cat is experiencing. Just as is the case with human beings, inflammatory bowel diseases can cause serious discomforts, such as loss of weight, diarrhea, and vomiting.
What Are the Side Effects of Using CBD Oil for Cats?
While CBD oil is entirely safe and natural, this doesn’t mean that it’s free of any possible side effects.
The good news, however, is that as long as you use CBD properly, the side effects are very little to none at all.
Still, not all cats are alike. There may be others that will exhibit a sense of aversion towards CBD oil.
When you notice any negative changes in your cat, you must bring this up with your veterinarian immediately. Never self-diagnose or self-treat your pet at any time.
With all this information on your plate, now you’re more aware that CBD oil is, in fact, safe for your cats.
You no longer have to worry about merely going along with a trend that can end up being harmful to your beloved pet.
Especially if you have a feline companion who is dependent on synthetic medications, you finally have a healthier and more natural means of managing their health condition.
The key takeaway here is always to stay within the correct dose, and do seek the advice of your veterinarian whenever you’re unsure about how to treat your cat.