The warm summer months can make it difficult for your dog to enjoy a comfortable night’s sleep. As standard dog beds are placed directly onto the ground they will often trap the warm air underneath and this can cause your dog to overheat.
As suggested by its name, an elevated dog bed lifts your dog off the floor. As such, the air can circulate underneath and this will help to regulate the temperature so that your dog doesn’t get too hot or too cold. They are also a great option for older dogs or those who suffer from joint problems. Instead of trying to get up from the floor (which can put pressure onto their limbs), they can climb on and off an elevated bed with ease.
We have browsed the market and selected our top 10 picks of the best elevated dog beds available accounting for different breeds of dogs and their weight. To make the process of selecting a bed for your dog easier, we have also provided you with a handy buyer’s guide that contains all of our top tips and features that you should look out for in a high-quality elevated dog bed.
10 Best Elevated Dog Beds
With raving reviews, The Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo is certainly a strong contender. It is available in three different sizes with the largest option supporting a total weight of 100ibs. The off the ground concept improves airflow allowing your dog to rest comfortably in warmer temperatures.
Generously sized, this bed provides your dog with around 9sq.ft of surface area to rest on. It has also been designed with a suspended platform that offers low-impact areas which will benefit pressure points and joints. Because of this, your dog can enjoy a contented sleep.
A great thing about this bed is that it is super versatile. Not only can it be used indoors, but it is suitable for use outdoors too. Designed to withstand the elements, your dog can enjoy this bed regardless of where they are. It is also lightweight and will be easy for you to transport to different areas of your home.
In regards to quality, the frame has been constructed from powder coated steel and the bed itself uses high-density polyethylene which is breathable and will prevent your dog from developing hot spots.
- Easy to clean – it can simply be washed down with water before being allowed time to dry.
- Durability – it is resistant to fleas, mold, mites, and mildew which will last longer whilst providing a healthy environment to your dog.
- Cost – retailing within an affordable price range, this is a great value dog bed.
- Assembly – some customers have reported that this bed was rather challenging to put together.
The AmazonBasics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed has been designed to keep dogs comfortable in warmer climates. The breathable mesh covering allows the cool air to circulate to prevent your dog from overheating. Catering to dogs of different weights, this bed is available in five different sizes. Whilst the extra small option is recommended for breeds such as chihuahuas, the extra large is intended for breeds weighing around 110 lbs.
As a versatile dog bed, it is lightweight and can easily be carried to different rooms of your home. If you have a fidgety dog that likes to move from room to room, you aren’t contending with an overly weighty bed.
This bed is easy to assemble simply requiring a few screws and a hex tool which you are provided with when you purchase the bed. As for durability, the surface of the bed has been made from PVC mesh fabric and the frame has been made from iron. The combination of both materials creates a strong dog bed that can endure frequent use.
To clean this bed, you will simply need to wipe it over using tap water, then let it dry thoroughly and it will be looking as good as new before you know it.
- Cost – Affordably priced, this is a great option for dog owners on a budget.
- Size availability – caters to dogs of different weights to ensure they have enough space to lay down comfortably.
- Quality – as a robustly constructed bed, it provides your dog with plenty of support and stability.
- Assembly – some customers may find the process of assembling this bed a little difficult.
If your dog struggles to relax in warmer temperatures, why not invest in the Vehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed. Durably constructed, it has been made from Textilene mesh which is breathable and encourages the air to circulate. It also features a powder coated steel tube frame which is going to deliver long lasting use.
Each of the feet is fitted with a non-skid rubber grip which will ensure that the bed remains safely positioned without any unexpected movements. There are also different sizes available that can hold dogs of different weights. The medium sized option has a maximum weight capacity of 150 lbs.
To assemble this bed, you will not require the use of any screws. Unlike many other variations of elevated dog beds, the design of this one adopts a different concept. Simply plug each of the poles in, stretch the fabric covering over it, and then it is good to go.
A great thing about this bed is that the material is suitable for machine washing. Because of this, you can be assured that it is going to get a thorough clean. This also makes it easier to preserve the quality so that it lasts longer. The frame also possesses anti-scratch qualities so you needn’t worry about it getting damaged by your dog’s paws.
- The Weight – as a lightweight bed it is easy to transport to and from different locations.
- Colors – it is available in a total of 8 colors so you can select your preferred option.
- Quality – when put together, this is a sturdy, high-quality dog bed.
- The Size – unfortunately, the size of these dog beds may not accommodate those with longer legs.
From a brand that is renowned for producing reliable dog beds and accessories, the K&H Pet Products Original Elevated Dog Bed will not disappoint. Ideal for the warmer months, this bed helps to keep your pets cool by encouraging the air to circulate rather than gather. In fact, it elevates them around 7” above the ground.
Impressively, this bed is suitable for indoor and outdoor use. The anti-slip rubber feet will ensure that it refrains from moving regardless of the surface that it is placed on. The materials that it is made from are also resistant to water, mold, and mildew. As such you don’t have to worry about it deteriorating in quality when exposed to the elements. It repels odors so you needn’t worry about the freshness of it.
Whilst the frame has been constructed from tough metal, the surface of the bed has been made from heavy-duty denier fabric. Because it has been made to withstand the elements you needn’t worry about it breaking down in quality. There is a selection of 5 different sized beds available but the medium option specifically can hold over 200 lbs.
In regards to the convenience of this bed, it can easily be collapsed in between uses which is ideal if you intend to use it for traveling purposes. It can also be used alongside a selection of fun accessories. This includes a canopy, a self-warming cot cover, and a mesh cot cover, though it is worth noting that these do require an additional purchase.
- Easy to clean – the fabric covering can either be cleaned with a hose or put into the washing machine depending on which you find the most convenient.
- Mesh Center – creates a breathable environment for your pet in warm weather.
- Colors – as there are 4 different colors available, you can choose your favorite option.
- Durability – if your dog tends to chew this is unlikely to be suitable for them because there is a risk of them biting through the fabric material.
The Bedsure Original Elevated Pet Bed comes in three different sizes. The smallest option can hold up to 40 lbs in weight whilst the large option has a maximum weight capacity of 85 lbs. The selection of sizes allows you to choose according to the weight and breed of your dog. Though it may be raised approximately 8” above the ground, it remains easy for your dog to get on and off.
This bed can be used indoors and outdoors, so regardless of whether you intend to use it in your living room or take it with you when your dog accompanies you on your outdoor activities, you can be assured that it has been built to withstand the elements. In fact, it has been durably constructed with a sturdy frame and high-quality Teslin mesh fabric which is breathable too.
Each of the legs is designed with skid-resistant feet which as implied will refrain from moving unexpectedly regardless of the surface type that it is placed on. Because of this, your dog will be able to climb on and get off it safely. The curved corners of the legs also help to eliminate any possible accidents caused by prominent and sharp curves.
As for cleaning, this bed can be washed by hand using water and a mild detergent, or you may wish to use the hose if you have one available. Once you have got rid of any dirt and grime you will need to give it plenty of time to dry.
- Assembly – this bed is easy to put together and will be ready for use within minutes. It’s also easy to disassemble when required at other locations.
- Durability – made from a combination of high-quality materials, this bed is expected to deliver long lasting use.
- Cost – this bed retails within a lower price range which is ideal for pet owners looking for an affordable option.
- The Legs – some may find the legs of this bed a little obtrusive as they stick out more than the bed itself.
If you are looking for a budget friendly dog bed that doesn’t lack quality, the Phyex Heavy Duty Elevated Pet Bed could be an excellent choice. It is ideal for older dogs with stiff joints because it is easy for them to mount and dismount. Just like our previous picks, it is available in multiple sizes. The small option can hold up to 50 lbs, the medium option can hold up to 80 lbs and the large can hold up to 110 lbs.
Everything that you require for assembly is provided with the bed. This includes the screws and hex key. Should you experience any difficulties during the process you will benefit from the help of the instructional manual.
The surface of this bed has been made from durable Textilene fabric which also possesses breathable qualities. As such, the air will circulate beneath your dog and they will remain comfortable during the warmer weather. This is supported by a solid metal frame that is robust and will refrain from getting damaged easily.
Cleaning this bed needn’t be a tiresome task. Using a scrub brush of some kind you can clean the surface using water and a mild detergent. Then you will need to rinse it with a hose and once you have done so you can let it dry.
- Cost – this bed retails at an excellent price, offering a great value option to those on a budget.
- Quality – it has been made from strong and robust materials which aren’t likely to become damaged easily.
- Colors – there are 3 colors to choose from so you can select the option that you feel suits your interior decor.
- Assembly – just like other dog beds, it can be quite a challenge to put together.
The Love’s Cabin Outdoor Elevated Dog Bed has been designed with your pooches comfort in mind. The use of breathable Teslin mesh material encourages the air to circulate beneath your dog. As a result, they aren’t likely to overheat in the warmth. Instead, they can rest comfortably.
The metal is durable and likely to resist damage. Because of this, your dog can enjoy long lasting use of their bed. The non-skid rubber feet on each of the legs will provide plenty of support to your pet whilst ensuring that the bed doesn’t move around when they are laying on it, or attempting to get on or off it.
With three different sizes to choose from you can select the bed that caters to the weight and length of your dog, after all, you don’t want them to be restricted by a bed that is insufficiently sized for them. If needed, this bed can easily be disassembled for transport purposes when it is required at another location.
Cleaning this bed adopts a similar process to previous picks. Wipe the surface over with water and a mild detergent and then allow it time to dry naturally. You will be pleased to know that the material of this bed will refrain from collecting a lot of pet hair and dirt and grime.
- Guarantee – As this bed is covered by a 100% satisfaction guarantee, you can return it if you are unhappy.
- The Cost – This elevated bed provides another budget friendly option for those seeking affordability.
- Assembly – impressively, this dog bed is easy to put together and is unlikely to consume a lot of time.
- Quality – The quality of some parts of this bed could be improved as some customers have reported that it is a little flimsier than they were expecting.
The Paws & Pals Elevated Dog Bed boasts a rugged design and has been made to withstand frequent use. The cover has been made from a breathable mesh which is also water and rip-resistant. As such, you can be sure that this bed has been durably constructed. It has a strong metal frame which will prove effective in supporting the weight of different dogs.
There are two different sized beds to choose from. The first is the medium bed which can hold dogs that weigh a maximum of 35 lbs and the second is the large dog bed which has a maximum weight capacity of 40 pounds. Although the bed is generously sized and provides plenty of room for your dog to relax, it is sufficiently sized for traveling.
A great thing about this elevated bed is that it is easy to assemble and the process of doing so can be completed in a matter of minutes. Once you have safely inserted and tightened each of the screws, it will be ready for your dog to begin using.
Suitable for indoor and outdoor use, your dog can enjoy this bed regardless of where they are in your home. Also, as the material is waterproof it isn’t going to deteriorate in quality following exposure to the elements.
- Lightweight – at only 6 pounds this is a portable bed that is easy to maneuver to different rooms of your home.
- Quality – this bed has been made from high-quality materials which aren’t going to become damaged easily.
- Easy to clean – when needed this bed can easily be cleaned using water and left to dry in the wind.
- Sizes – this bed isn’t available in a small size; only a medium or a large, which may not suit some dogs.
The PETMAKER Elevated Pet Bed is great for pet owners who enjoy taking their pets traveling with them. Along with the bed you are provided with a convenient carry case which makes it easy to carry this lightweight bed to different locations. It will also provide you with the assurance that all of the parts are contained within one place, so there is less risk of them becoming lost.
Similar to our previous picks, this is a versatile pet bed that can be used indoors and outdoors. As such, it can be placed in your living room but it can also withstand the elements of the outdoor environment. Each of the legs is completed with anti-skid feet which will ensure that the bed remains safely positioned regardless of what type of surface it is positioned on.
We are especially impressed with the assortment of sizes on offer. The small size is intended for dogs weighing up to 25 lbs, the medium is suitable for dogs that weigh up to 50 lbs and the large can hold a dog’s weight of up to 80 lbs. If you have a larger dog, you will be pleased to know that there is an extra large option available that has a maximum weight capacity of 110 lbs.
In regards to durability, this bed features a breathable mesh center panel, which is supported by a coated steel frame and PVC T pipe. Thanks to the strength of these materials, you can be confident that this bed is going to see your pet through many uses.
- Ease to care for – this bed can easily be cleaned by hand using water.
- Size availability – there is a great selection of sizes available to accommodate different breeds.
- Guarantee – this bed is covered by a satisfaction guarantee if you are unhappy with the product that you receive.
- The quality – due to the softness of the frame, some dogs may display a tendency to chew it.
Last but certainly not least we have the Best Choice Products Elevated Cooling Dog Bed. As a versatile dog bed, it can be used virtually anywhere. From the living room to your garden, your dog can enjoy a comfortable rest wherever they are. Thanks to the durable nylon material and the strong material frame, this is a durable bed that can withstand the elements.
Something we like about this elevated dog bed is the addition of the removable canopy. In warm weather this can be fixed to the bed to shelter your dog from intense sun and heat, however, it can then be removed when the weather begins to cool.
This bed is easy to transport to different locations thanks to the travel bag that is included. Once you have disassembled the bed, you will simply need to ensure that all of the parts are contained inside the bag and then you can carry it with ease.
As the surface of this bed is made from breathable mesh, it will create a cool and comfortable environment for your dog. The cool and refreshing air will circulate to prevent your dog from getting too warm.
- Sizes – this bed comes in 3 different sizes, so you can select the option that is going to provide your pooch with the most comfort.
- Assembly – as this bed is easy to put together, your dog can enjoy napping in it within minutes.
- Durability – made from robust, high-quality materials, this bed will provide your dog with many years of comfort.
- Cost – in comparison to our other picks, this bed is quite expensive and may not suit pet owners who are on a budget.
As you can see, there are many different types of elevated dog beds available. To make the process of selecting the best option for your dog easier, we would advise you to consider the following criteria.
Most brands manufacture these dog beds in a variety of sizes typically ranging from small to medium and large.
It is worth measuring your dog beforehand to ensure that you select the correct sized bed for them, if it is insufficiently sized, they aren’t going to be able to lay comfortably. The specifications of the product will state the maximum weight that the bed can support.
The bed needs to be comfortable for your dog, otherwise, they aren’t going to have any desire to use it.
If the surface is too hard it is likely that your dog will struggle to relax on it, likewise, if it is too loose it isn’t going to provide them with adequate support.
Beds of this kind are designed with a breathable mesh panel that allows the air to circulate freely so that your dog doesn’t overheat or develop hot spots.
The durability of the materials that have been used to make the dog bed will determine how long it is going to last.
As most beds are suitable for indoor and outdoor use they should be tough enough to withstand the elements without deteriorating in quality. It should also be resistant to pups that love to chew. Those made from weaker materials are likely to break easier when confronted with the teeth of your dog.
Ideally, the bed should be easy for you to assemble. One that is designed with multiple complexed parts is likely to take more time to put together.
Most will provide you with the screws and the tool that you require to secure them. Should you run into any difficulties you will benefit from using the guide that is likely to be provided along with the bed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are elevated dog beds better?
An elevated dog bed will provide your pet with firm, orthopedic support. As such there will be less pressure placed on their joints.
There are many elevated beds available that come with additional features and mattresses to enhance the comfort of your pet.
What are the benefits of an elevated dog bed?
Investing in an elevated pet bed can have many benefits for your dog. Because they are raised from the ground they aren’t going to come into direct contact with any debris beneath them.
It is also likely that your dog will enjoy a more fulfilled rest. For older dogs in particular who have stiff joints, a bed of this kind is going to be easier for them to get on and off.