Can Dogs Eat Oreos?


Dogs can be mischievous at the best of times, and if they have managed to get hold of some oreo cookies from your pantry or coffee table, then you might be left wondering how it is going to affect them.

Dogs are often caught eating things that they really shouldn’t be, but food that is intended for human consumption is certainly the most commonly stolen. Even though they might want to chow down on an entire packet of oreos, this might not be the best thing for them.

Dog eating from bowl

So, can dogs eat oreos safely? Can you give your dog a cookie as a treat? What do you do if your dog gets hold of these delicious cookies? These are all questions that we are going to answer for you in this article.

Can Dogs Eat Oreos?

No, dogs should not eat Oreos, even in small amounts. The first thing that we should tell you is that you should never feed your dog Oreos on purpose.

These cookies are made up of two chocolate cookies that are held together by a creamy white center, and while they are a delicious snack, they should never be given to your dog.

Chocolate is something that is toxic to dogs, so Oreos should be avoided as a snack at all costs, even though they only contain a small amount of chocolate.

Oreo cookies also contain a lot of sugar and far, and they offer your dog zero nutritional value. Feeding your dog Oreos can make them sick, and at an increased risk of suffering from obesity and diabetes.

x
Dog Keeps Pacing and Won't Lie Down

Chocolate is a food that contains two toxic compounds, which are theobromine, and caffeine. The effect that consuming these things has on your dog will depend on the amount of Oreos that they have eaten and the size of your dog. A small dog would not have to eat as much as a large dog to become ill.

Are Oreos Bad for Dogs?

Yes, Oreos are bad for dogs because they contain chocolate and they are not good for canine consumption. They are more unlikely to cause harm if they have been eaten in small quantities, but in larger quantities, they can be very bad for your dog.

You should never feed Oreos to your dog as a snack, and you should instead opt for healthier and safer foods.

Do Oreos Contain Real Chocolate?

Yes, Oreos do contain real chocolate, and this is the main reason why they can be toxic to your dog if too many are consumed.

However, they do contain chocolate in lower quantities, which is why your dog is more unlikely to suffer from chocolate toxicity if they have only eaten a small amount. Either way, you should never feed your dog anything potentially toxic, no matter how little you give them.

Can Dogs Eat Golden Oreos?

No, your dog cannot eat Golden Oreos, and you should never give them to your dog as a snack. Although they don’t contain any chocolate, they are still not good for dogs to eat as they are made with palm oil, sugar, and high fructose corn syrup.

These are all things that are generally not healthy for your dog to eat. It can make them unwell and cause things like indigestion.

Dog eating from bowl

Can Dogs Eat Lemon Oreos?

Even though they are called lemon Oreos, they don’t actually contain any real lemon, so don’t be fooled into thinking that they are a healthier alternative. However, they do contain
palm oil, sugar, and high fructose corn syrup in them, so dogs should not be eating them.

Can Dogs Eat Peanut Butter Oreos?

Lots of people give their dogs peanut butter in moderation, as this is something that is safe for them to eat. However, just because peanut butter is safe, it does not mean that peanut butter Oreos are good for your dog. They contain much more sugar and oils than peanut butter.

What Will Happen if My Dog Eats Oreos?

The first thing that we want to make clear is that if your dog is showing any signs of chocolate toxicity, you should take them to see a vet immediately.

If they have only eaten or or less Oreos, they are likely to be okay, as it contains a low amount of chocolate. However, if larger amounts than this are digested, then chocolate toxicity is a higher risk. The symptoms of chocolate toxicity are:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Tiredness
  • Panting
  • Restlessness
  • High heart rate
  • Seizures
  • Upset Stomach

The negative effects that your dog can experience from eating Oreos are most likely to be related to the ingestion of sugars and fats, rather than of chocolate. Oreos can lead to gastrointestinal symptoms in your pet, especially if ingested in high quantities.

The most common symptom is an upset stomach, but this usually doesn’t last long, and certainly not more than a few days. If your dog has been severely affected, be sure to contact your vet, as they may require additional treatment.

Will Oreos Kill My Dog?

If your dog has only eaten a single Oreo, it is very unlikely to kill them. However, as Oreos do contain both chocolate and sugar, and they are high in fat levels, it can cause your dog to be sick.

However, with that being said, if your dog has eaten a large amount of Oreos, then it could lead to chocolate toxicity, which can be fatal.

More often than not, they will be left with a bit of an upset stomach, and this shouldn’t last for too long. You may also notice some diarrhea. However, if your dog is not eating and drinking normally and they do not appear to be well, then you should always contact your vet for advice.

Lawrence

Lawrence White is an avid dog lover and writer, knowing all there is to know about our furry friends. Lawrence has been writing for PetDT for three years now, wanting to use her knowledge for good and share everything she can with new dog owners. Kerry has two dogs herself - a German shepherd called Banjo and a chocolate labrador called Buttons. Kerry knows more than anyone how adjusting to new life with a puppy can turn your life upside down, and she wants to ease some of the burdens through her articles.

Recent Posts