Turtles might be one of the most adorable exotic pets you can own, but they can also be some of the most difficult to look after.
Their needs are so unlike most ordinary pets, such as birds, cats, dogs, mice, rats, and hamsters, that many new owners simply don’t know where to start. Fortunately, there is a solution to all their problems – and it’s called a turtle tank.
If you’re looking for a cheap, easy-to-make turtle tank, then read on to find out how to choose the best tanks for every species.
Cheap Turtle Tanks That Suit All Turtles Species
Aquariums are the way to go when it comes to keeping turtles. They give your turtle a natural habitat where he can live out his life in peace.
If you’re looking for a tank that will give your turtle the space to thrive, then you need to take a look at this massive 150-gallon aquarium!
This tank comes equipped with a filter, heater, and lighting system. It also has a built-in overflow so that if there is too much water in the tank, it won’t spill over.
The tank is made from glass and measures 60x24x24 inches. This means that it will hold up to 150 gallons of water.
These pipes come in handy when installing the plumbing kit. The plumbing kit includes a filter, heater, and light fixture. All these items are packed in a plastic bag.
The tank comes fully assembled. All you need to do is add the substrate and set up the lighting.
- This large tank can accommodate a larger pet turtle or even 2 smaller pet turtles!
- Strong 12 mm thick glass means that there’s no chance of this tank breaking.
- A great built-in overflow system.
- This tank is a very heavy model, both when empty and filled. You’ll need two people to move this, ideally.
- The overflow system might be a little hard to understand for newcomers to turtle keeping.
Also Available From: Scaquariums
- COMPLETE aquarium KIT: 20-gallon tank is ideal for aquatic turtles, and this kit includes all the essentials needed for success, including a decorative filter with cartridges, basking platform, heating lamp, boxwood plant mat and screen top.
- INCLUDES WATER FILTER: Decorative ReptoFilter instantly creates a beautiful waterfall while keeping water clean with 3-stage filtration.
- HEATING: Dome lamps are incorporated into the screen top for warmth and prime basking.
- CONVENIENT: Includes Tetra food and water care product samples – everything you need to get started.
- DIMENSIONS: aquarium measures 30 inches wide x 12 inches deep x 12 inches tall.
- Age Range Description: All Life Stages
Aquatic turtle tanks come in various sizes, shapes, and styles. A 20-gallon tank makes an excellent home for aquatic turtles. This tank is ideal for aquatic species such as painted turtles, red-eared sliders, and Chinese soft-shelled turtles.
This complete aquatic turtle tank is ideal for aquatic reptiles and amphibians like turtles, tortoises, terrapins, frogs, salamanders, caecilians, and newts.
The Tetra Deluxe Aquatic Turtle Tank comes fully assembled and ready to use out of the box. It’s made from durable plastic and features a removable lid that allows access to the interior for easy cleaning.
This tank is equipped with a heater, filter, and lighting system. A basking platform provides heat and light for your aquatic animals to thrive. The included water filter removes impurities from the water and makes it safe for your pets.
- Excellent heating system, thanks to its two lamps and a UVB bulb.
- The 3-Stage whisper filtration system will keep your turtle’s water cleaner and fresher for longer!
- Durable glass means that this tank won’t break easily!
- This is an excellent tank for beginners to get to grips with these amazing pets
- The basking platform doesn’t rise too high above 20 gallons. If you want your turtle to have a safe basking spot, you may need to find something a little taller.
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
Your pet reptile will love having fun in his or her new home! This 10-gallon aquarium tank includes everything your pet needs to live comfortably.
The Aqua Culture 10 Gallon Pet Reptile Kit is designed to meet the needs of small reptiles such as snakes, lizards, turtles, and frogs.
The basking platform helps keep your pet happy by providing a safe place to soak up the sun. The dome light provides warmth during colder months, while the LED lighting inside the tank helps illuminate the entire area.
The black plastic base allows your pet to stay out of harm’s way. In addition to all of the necessities, this aquarium kit includes some tasty treats too!
This aquarium includes everything you need to set up a reptile habitat, including a basking light, a hideaway, and stairs for climbing. The tank measures 12 inches deep by 20 inches wide by 13 inches tall.
A built-in filter system helps maintain healthy water quality, while the dome lighting provides a soft glow.
Assembled and ready to go, the aquarium comes with a basking platform, a hideaway, a ramp, food, and water.
The kit even includes a little ReptoMin food to help feed your turtle for those first few days whilst they are settling in!
- Excellent heating with its 60-watt heating lamp.
- Tetra internal filter keeps your turtle’s water clean and hygienic for them.
- The sturdy glass is great for keeping your turtle safe and enjoying its activities.
- This smaller tank will only accommodate one smaller turtle, ideally. If you want to own two turtles or one larger species, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
Also Available From Walmart
- LARGE ENVIRONMENT: Larger environments can house more fish or a greater variety of fish. Maintains water temperature. Essential for tropical fishkeeping
- KIT INCLUDES: one 55 gallon tank, EasyBalance Plus, TetraMin, AquaSafe, 6” fish net, 200W heater, WPF 60 Filter, Stick on digital thermometer, 24” Tetra hinged hood x 2, 2 plant multipacks and a boxwood plant, TetraCare brochure and instruction sheet
- LED LIGHTING: Included lighting adds the natural daylight effect to your aquarium, giving you illuminated viewing of the entire space
- ACTUAL TANK DIMENSIONS: 48.25" L x 12.80" W x 20.90" H
- WEIGHT: This aquarium tank weighs approximately 79 lb by itself. With water, total tank weight can reach 521 lb.
- COMPLETE YOUR COMBO WITH THE MAJESTY STAND: The Perfecto Majesty Stand (ASIN: B00BUFU77U) properly supports the weight of this tank, while also providing storage for supplies.
If you want to set up a large aquarium, then the Tetra 55 Gallon Aquarium Kit is just the right size.
It is large enough to hold many different types of tropical fish, such as guppies, goldfish, betta, platys, tetras, cichlids, and much more. It has been designed to maintain a stable environment for these fish, ensuring that they stay happy and healthy.
But it’s not just suitable for fish. It also comes complete with almost everything you need to start keeping small turtles in your home. All you have to do is add a turtle!
This kit includes one 55-gallon tank; Easy Balance Plus filter system, TetraMin automatic feeder; AquaSafe antimicrobial solution; 6” fishnet; 200-watt heater; WPF 60 filter; stick-on digital thermometer; 24-inch Tetra hinged hood; two plant packs; boxwood plant; TetraCare brochure; and an instructional booklet.
This aquarium features an integrated light system that provides natural illumination throughout the tank. It also features four intensity levels so you can adjust the amount of light to suit your needs. It is compatible with all standard fluorescent tubes.
The dimensions of the actual tank are 48.25 inches long, 12.80 inches wide, and 20.90 inches high. This aquarium weighs approximately 79 pounds by itself. With water, it can weigh up to 521 lbs.
- Great starting equipment that comes as standard with this tank!
- The double-hinged hood of this tank lets you open one half at a time!
- Tank glass is very strong and can stand up to a huge amount of punishment without noticeable marks or chipping.
- All these features make this a great tank for beginners.
- The pump that comes as standard with this model is probably a little too weak to keep a turtle’s tank clean for long.
This is the perfect nursery for those new turtles that you’ve brought into your household!
It is very popular among families because it is easy to maintain and has multiple functional areas. The glass see-through feature allows you to easily check on your pet without opening the lid. And UV light promotes the health of your pet while keeping the environment safe.
The turtle tank aquarium is suitable for turtles, hermit crabs, terrapins, little tortoises, and other small reptiles. It can also be used for crayfish, frogs, salamanders, and other small aquatic animals.
Your turtle tank will also have an adequate lighting system. If you don’t have any extra lights yet, then you can use fluorescent bulbs.
Fluorescent bulbs emit a similar amount of heat to incandescent bulbs, making them a suitable temporary replacement for reptile tanks until you find a more appropriate bulb or lamp.
- Multiple functional areas for your turtles, from an elevated basking platform, a feeding area, as well as swimming and diving areas too!
- UV light that comes as standard will keep your turtles nice and warm between swims!
- This durable plastic tank is also easily cleanable!
- This tank is only suitable for smaller species of turtles. Larger kinds will simply not have the room to be stimulated enough in this tank.
- [Rich Landscape Application] Rich landscape design, suitable for all kinds of scenes.
- [Chance of Ultra-white Vat] 10mm thick heavy-duty glass with high light transmittance and low iron, 91% transparency, bezel-less design, and wide vision brings you an immersive viewing experience.
- [High Quality Manufacturing Standard] Standard right Angle, accurate size, mirror edge grinding, joint glue uniform, smooth feel.
- [Fish Tank Specification] 35.43" L x 19.69" W x 19.69" H(90 cm x 50 cm x 50 cm) Thickness: 10 mm.Approx 54.68 gallon
- [Packaging, Transportation and Gift] Net weight: 101.41 pounds; Packed in wooden case with steel frame, packing weight: 139.99 pounds; Free EVA material fish tank cushioning pad; Professional packaging, transportation safety is guaranteed.
If you’re looking for a tank without a lid, then you need to consider this model of the rimless tank by Landen. Whilst it is primarily a tank designed to house fish, a little clever tank decoration and design can make this into an excellent home for your turtles.
Landen offers a series of aquarium tanks designed specifically for crafting landscapes for your pets to live in. It has been made from high-quality materials and comes with a lifetime warranty.
The thickness of the glass is 10 mm, and it has 91% transparency. This product can bring you an immersive viewing experience with its bezel-less design.
Ultra-White Vat is designed with ultra-clear glass, so it is suitable for aquariums with tropical fishes and swimming turtles alike! Its color is white, and its thickness is 7 mm. The glass has 91% transparency. It is very popular among people who are fond of marine life.
- A great amount of volume for several smaller turtles, at 55 gallons.
- Clear heavy-duty glass is perfect for viewing, as well as taking punishment!
- This tank does not come with the extra features you may be looking for in a starter set, such as a filter or UV bulb.
- A Sophisticated Twist On A Traditional Turtle Habitat
- These Kits Include An Elegant Chamfered Front, Open-Topped Terrarium, Premium Heat And Uvb Lighting,
- Filtration Unit Doubles As A Naturalistic Basking and Climbing Surface
- Comes With Aquatic Turtle Food, Reptile Water Conditioner, And Complete Setup Guide
- Size - 20 Gallon
Turtle habitats are usually made out of glass, plastic, or wood. They range from small to large sizes. But if you want something different, this turtle kit might fit the bill.
If you are looking for a unique habitat for your pet turtle, then look no further! This stylish and sophisticated twist on a traditional turtle habitat makes a great gift for anyone who loves turtles.
The chamfered front gives it a sleek and modern appearance, while the open-top terrarium allows for plenty of airflow. The filtration unit doubles as a naturalistic basking and climbing surface.
With this kit, you can create a beautiful habitat for your pet turtles. It comes with everything you need to set up a home for them. The kit includes an open-topped terrarium, premium heat and UVB lighting, aquatic turtle food, a reptile water conditioner, and a complete setup guide.
- Comes with a heating bulb and UVB lighting as standard.
- An elegant open-top design makes it stand out
- Excellent filtration system
- Whilst it does have many features, it misses some accessories that would make it ideal for starter sets.
If you are looking for a beautiful, naturalistic habitat for your turtle, look no further. The Zilla 20-gallon tank comes complete with everything you need to support your new pet right out of the box.
It comes with all the necessary components, such as lighting fixtures, filters, food dispensers, and water conditioners. The tank measures 21 inches wide by 24 inches high by 18 inches deep. This makes it ideal for small reptiles and amphibians.
It has a capacity of 20 gallons of water and can easily fit two turtles. The tank has a built-in filter system that helps remove impurities from the water. It has an adjustable air pump that allows you to regulate the amount of oxygen flowing into the tank.
The included fresh air screen cover helps prevent algae growth. The mini heat and UVB light fixture is energy-efficient and requires fewer electricity watts than traditional halogen bulbs.
The tropical mini compact fluorescent bulb is a day blue bulb suitable for indoor and outdoor use. It lasts for up to 10 years.
As soon as you receive this kit, you’ll be able to set up your new pet and enjoy watching him or her grow.
- A great power filter that comes as standard with the tank
- Comes with plenty of extra accessories that you need in a starter tank, such as a UVB and heat fixture, a basking platform, as well as some extra reptile food!
- A nice amount of space for smaller turtle species that love to swim!
- This product contains styrene, which has some carcinogenic traits that may be linked to cancer, especially when in contact with sensitive parts of the body, such as your face, mouth, or eyes. If you have young children, you should probably avoid this specific turtle tank for their sake.
You want your turtle water tank to be able to handle a large amount of water. However, that doesn’t mean you should go overboard with the size of your turtle tank.
If you need to buy an aquarium and don’t have any experience at all, it may be best to get a smaller one until you become more comfortable with the hobby.
Also, remember that not everyone has an exact science background when it comes to keeping turtles. So if you are unsure about how much space you will need or how big a tank you can afford to buy, take some time to talk to people.
It is also important to remember that different species of turtles will require different amounts of water to meet their basic needs.
For example, a Painted turtle may only need a 55-gallon tank to properly live in, as opposed to something such as a yellow-bellied slider turtle, which may need as much as 100 gallons for a single turtle to live comfortably in it.
And that’s not even considering if you are planning on owning more than one turtle!
Think carefully about how much room you think your turtle will need to stay happy. When in doubt, bigger, as with many things in life, is usually better!
This is essential. This is a list of cheap turtle tanks, after all, so of course, pricing will be a factor you should consider!
Generally speaking, smaller tanks will likely be cheaper than their larger counterparts, unsurprisingly.
But you should also consider if a more expensive tank option comes with some accessories or equipment as standard.
It could be worth spending a bit extra if it means that you get everything included from the start instead of having to pay for additional items later on.
Also, you may find it helpful to look around online before buying anything since there are often deals available that might make your purchase a little less painful on your wallet.
When it comes to the basking area for your turtle, the most important thing is to ensure that you provide enough space for them to bask comfortably.
While they may not spend every waking moment doing so, they still need to have somewhere to rest and relax. Without adequate basking space, they’ll get stressed out and probably develop health issues.
If you’re looking for a turtle tank, it’s also important to note that the more space you give them, the happier they will be.
Smaller enclosures may be fine for small turtles, but if you plan on adding other animals to your collection, then you’ll need to make sure the enclosure is large enough that they aren’t cramped in any way.
If you are using a sand substrate, it’s also good to know that it’s possible to create basking areas by digging holes into the substrate. You don’t necessarily need a large amount of space for each turtle, but it does help to keep them separate.
Durability is another important factor that you need to consider for your turtle tank.
Not only does your tank have to survive being delivered to your home or nearest store, for example, but it also needs to hold quite a large amount of weight in water without collapsing under pressure.
This is especially true when you are thinking about purchasing an aquarium that holds multiple turtles at once. If you buy a tank too small, you risk losing money through damage caused by overloading.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I Need To Keep My Turtle In A Water Tank?
For most species, you should ideally be keeping them in a mostly aquatic terrarium or tank. Most turtles are at least semi-aquatic, meaning they spend a good chunk of their lives eating, fighting, and otherwise living under the water.
However, this isn’t to say that some turtles don’t prefer to spend time on land. But you will need to have a decent understanding of that species before deciding on whether or not you should dedicate a good chunk of your tank to water or land.
What Things Do Turtles Need In Their Tanks?
The vast majority of turtle tanks come equipped with a filter system and lights. These are great additions because they allow your turtles to live healthier than they would if they were in a plain old plastic container filled with dirt.
Although these are essential parts of the turtle tank, there are other things that all turtles need. For instance, some species of turtle require access to air vents, while others will benefit from having perches.
Some turtles also need to be kept away from high temperatures, while others thrive better in warmer conditions.
So, these tanks are all solid choices that you can make when deciding on a turtle tank as a beginner. They’ve been chosen because they’re affordable, durable, and easy to use.
Hopefully, they can help you decide what kind of tank you want to pick up for your new turtle friend.